Are you considering bringing your family along on your stay abroad? Here, we have collected some nice-to-know information for a travelling with family!

Bringing your family along for your academic stay abroad may seem to be an immense feat to conquer – will they thrive in the new environment? How do I apply for their visa/residence permit?  Every year, we see Fulbright grantees bring their partners, spouses and children along on the journey and we hear how rewarding it has been! During a stay abroad, you and your family will get to experience everyday life in the host country – everything from grocery shopping to going to the park and playground, providing opportunities to meet and connect with local families. Older kids may have the opportunity to enjoy an authentic Danish or American Elementary, Middle, or High School experience. To experience another country with your family allows you to get closer, reconnect, and spend quality time with your loved ones while exploring your new home. In short, it is an unforgettable time!

The Fulbrighter platform is a forum where former and current grantees can seek various types of information, e.g., how it is to travel with family. Thus, if you have received a Fulbright grant, and are considering brining your family with you, you may find invaluable information there.

Danes Travelling with Family to the US

As a Danish Fulbright Student or Scholar, accompanying family members (i.e., spouses and children) can join the grantee on a J-2 dependent visa – a type of visa which is connected to the grantee’s J-1 visa.

If you and your significant other are not married, we are unfortunately unable to assist with the visa process. However, in this instance, we recommend the following:

  • For stays over 3 months: The partner can apply for a B-1/B-2-visa.
  • For stays up to three months: The partner can travel on an ESTA.

You can read more about the different visa categories here.

Children can enroll in schools or daycare, but you should be aware that these offers will be more expensive than in Denmark, especially in larger cities. Spouses should make sure to check with their specific visa category to determine if they are allowed work while in the US.

Americans Travelling with Family to Denmark

As an American Student or Scholar, accompanying family members (i.e., spouses and children) can join the grantee on a residence permit as such. It should be noted that it is the grantee’s own responsibility to apply for this through the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). Please be aware that there is a fee for a residence permit to accompanying family members. Once on a residence permit, family members will get a Danish personal number which gives them the same rights as the grantee (including access to free health care, important digital services etc.).

You can read more about residence permits here.

Partners who are not spouses or other types of family members to the grantee can travel to Denmark visa free up to 90 days (depending on the time otherwise spent in the Schengen area).

If you bring children over the age of 5 with you, they can enroll in the Danish public-school system right after arrival – in fact, children that are physically living in Denmark are required to attend school in one way or another, either as a student at a regular Primary School (free of charge) or at an International School (tuition-based). However, children cannot enroll at public daycare (“Vuggestue”) or kindergarten (“Børnehave”) until they are officially registered with the Danish authorities, and public childcare is unfortunately not free of charge. You may contact your local municipality to learn more about your options ahead of arrival. Please be aware that the waiting lists for public daycare and kindergarten are fairly long, for both Danish and International citizens.

Bringing your family with you to Denmark gives all of you a chance to try the Danish work-life balance, and to create memories for life!

Read more about Fulbright Denmark’s grants here.