The Americans call the Fulbright program their “Flagship Program” as it serves to promote mutual cultural understanding through academic educational exchange.

A Fulbright Denmark grant is recognized as a mark of distinction. Those receiving a Fulbright grant have been evaluated both in the U.S. and Denmark not only on their academic, professional, and personal achievements but also on their potential to build upon these to become leaders in their fields. A Fulbright grant fosters lifelong connections across the worldwide elite Fulbright community.

Each year Fulbright Denmark awards grants to top Master and PhD-students wanting to study in the U.S. Grants are awarded to graduate-level non-degree or degree seeking students, ‘free-movers’ who plan their own studies/research in the U.S.

Fulbright grants

Master's/PhD non-degree studies/research (one semester) Master's/PhD non-degree studies/research or full-degree (two semesters)

Core Fulbright grants

Joint Grants for Master's and PhD-students

Fulbright grant + reduced/waived tuition at selected U.S. universities


Grants can only be applied for the following academic year.

Applicants will apply online using a global application portal through the U.S. Institute of International Education (IIE).

Application decisions will be made in Spring – Grants will be awarded before departure.


Fulbright’s grants are awarded to the most talented graduate and PhD-students who demonstrate outstanding academic performance and will actively contribute to the promotion of mutual understanding as cultural ambassadors of Denmark.

If you are awarded a Fulbright grant, we will help and advise you through the entire process. In addition, you will be invited to a Pre-departure meeting in June where you receive practical advice and meet other future Fulbrighters.


  • For one semester, grants are for min. four and max six months –
    For two semesters, grants are for min. eight and max. ten months
  • You need an undergraduate degree within the field of study you wish to pursue in the U.S.
  • You are able to apply before you have been accepted to the U.S. university
  • You must be accepted through general graduate admission
  • The grants will only be awarded if an official Letter of Acceptance/Invitation has been received
  • The grants will not be awarded to dependents
  • Applicants must have Danish citizenship.
  • Applicants cannot have dual Danish-American citizenship or an American ‘Green card’
  • If you are doing a Double Degree in the U.S. and another country, the first year must be in the U.S.

You cannot apply if

  • You are going on an exchange agreement and will not pay tuition
  • You are applying through continuing education, extension service, lifelong learning institute, MOOCS etc.
  • You have already commenced your studies in the U.S.
  • You want to study undergraduate studies in the U.S.
  • You will study/research for less than four months
  • You want to do an internship, Summer School, or go on a conference
  • You will study an LL.M. or an MBA
  • You are going to the U.S. before August
  • You have recently had had a longer stay in the U.S.
    Please contact us, if you have lived or studied in the U.S. and think it might affect your chances of applying

Our future is not in the stars but in our own minds and hearts. Creative leadership and liberal education, which in fact go together, are the first requirements for a hopeful future for humankind.

— William J. Fulbright, The Price of Empire

Visa - Fulbright grantees

All grantees will receive a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa. The grants consist of funds from the Danish and American governments and all Fulbright grant recipients will therefore have to comply with a “Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement” when their time in the U.S. is over.

It is thus NOT possible to obtain certain types of visas for work and immigration before the two-year period is over. However, one can easily travel back to the U.S. on conference and tourist trips. Similarly, one can apply for a visa for employment with the international intergovernmental organizations (UN, World Bank etc.) located in the United States.

Degree-seeking students should pay attention to the timeframes set by a J-1 visa and the Fulbright program rules. This means that it is not always possible to obtain further study or research time in the U.S. following the degree as the “Two-Year Home Rule’ will apply. In particular, the transition from PhD studies to Postdoc programs can be problematic. It is grantees own responsibility to research this in due time if the visa needs extension.

Read more about visas for the US and “Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement”.


In order to receive a Fulbright grant, grantees are required to have adequate insurance coverage. A Fulbright grantee will automatically receive a so-called Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE) coverage. This coverage is minimal, therefore the grantee need to secure a Danish insurance that can cover, e.g. liability insurance and repatriation; it is also acceptable to take out an American insurance if the coverage is equal to a Danish insurance

DK Fulbrighters AY 2021/2022