The Danish and U.S. grading systems and traditions are very different; in the U.S., the grading will take place continuously with participation, various tests and assignments counting toward your final grade in contrast to only one assessment for the final grade in Denmark.

At present, there is no official comparison of the Danish seven-point scale, the EU grading scale, and the American grading system. However, for overview we have created an unofficial comparison.

ECTS and Credit points

European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a unit of measurement that denotes the workload in an educational program, and this unit of measurement is a common European system of measurement. Each subject or course in a degree is awarded a number of points that denote the workload the student must undergo in order to complete the individual unit of education.

60 ECTS points denotes the workload of an entire academic year, whereas 30 ECTS points are normally given for a semester. Project work, internships and theses may also be awarded ECTS points if these make up part of the degree, but check with your institution if there are specific rules about this.

In the U.S., a credit or credit hour system is used, which indicates whether you are studying full time or part time. When choosing courses at the American university where you are studying, please be aware of how many credits/credit hours you need to have the total amount of ECTS points required. Both to have your studies in the U.S. approved as full time studying and also to make sure you are not going to be any ECTS points short in your Danish education. You must also be a full time student in order to be eligible for a student visa in the U.S.

A full time student in the U.S. usually takes on between 15 and 18 credit hours per week during the bachelor’s degree and a graduate student usually takes on around 9 credit hours per week, but remember to check with your institution in Denmark how many credit hours you should take on in order to have it correlate with the number of ECTS points you need.

Do you want to study U.S.?

We offer advising on academic studies and research in the U.S.

Learn more
Fulbright Grants

Each year Fulbright Denmark awards grants to top Master and PhD-students wanting to study in the U.S.

Learn more